If you make something in Pennsylvania, you are very likely subject to environmental regulations.
- Are there or will there be air emissions from stacks and/or vents or other uncontrolled emissions?
- Have you calculated your current or potential emissions?
- If you are expanding your operation, have you looked at whether you will exceed your current permit limits and may need to amend or apply for a new permit?
- Have you checked whether you need to register your boilers, generators or other fuel consumption equipment?
- Will hazardous waste be generated? If yes, will may need an EPA Identification Number?
- Have you determined how much hazardous waste will be generated each month and determined your generator status?
- Will non-hazardous industrial wastes (residual waste) be generated or reused?
- Will wastes be stored on-site? Is there proper containment?
- How will wastes be transported for disposal?
- Are you aware of recycling requirements for certain items, such as fluorescent bulbs and electronic waste?
- Is drinking water provided for customers and employees from a well?
- Is wastewater discharged to the sanitary sewer or other waterway?
- Does wastewater need to be pre-treated prior to discharge?
- Is a discharge permit required?
- Do you have industrial activity which is potentially exposed to stormwater?
- Will there be storage tanks on-site that need to be registered?
- Are tank technical requirements satisfied? Do the tanks have a form of containment?
Hazardous Materials & Emergency Planning
- Will hazardous substances and/or bulk compressed gases be used, manufactured, or held in storage?
- Is the local fire department/emergency planning commission aware of chemical and explosive hazards at your facility?
- Will you need a Risk Management Plan or other Emergency Response Plan?
- Do you have all your permits before you begin construction?
- Will soil erosion and sedimentation controls be in place during construction?
- Have you incorporated green building techniques into renovations and new construction?
- Have you considered incorporating efficient systems and equipment which use less energy and fewer raw materials?
Disclaimer: The information in this list is provided as general information and is not provided nor intended to act as a substitute for legal advice or other professional services.