Industry Sector Resources
EMAP assists a variety of Pennsylvania small business industries on sector-specific environmental regulations and issues. These resources are intended to provide small businesses with specific regulatory information, tools & links to external resources, and additional environmental opportunities that your small business can use today.
Other Industry Resources:
Pennsylvania DEP Air Permit Exemption List
Emergency Response Notification Requirements
- The Pennsylvania Clean Streams Law regulations require that when any pollutant is discharged into surface or groundwater, including sewers, drains and ditches, the person spilling the substance or the person owning the premises from which the substance is spilled must notify the Department immediately. Note that there is no reportable quantity, that the requirement includes groundwater, and practically all substances are reportable.
- The Solid Waste Act requires the generator or the transporter to notify the Department immediately if there is a spill of a hazardous waste which affects surface water or groundwater regardless of amount. If there is no effect on water, quantities spilled in excess of a reportable quantity (RQ) must be reported. While the state RQs are fairly complex, it is a conservative assumption to say that all spills of hazardous wastes above five gallons must be reported.
- The Pennsylvania Storage Tank Act requires releases from underground and aboveground storage tanks be reported to the Department by the owner/operator.
Air Quality 6H
- Paint stripping using paint stripper containing methylene chloride
- Spary applications of coatings to metal or plastic substrates with coatings containing compounds of chromium, lead, maganese, nickel, or cadmium.